Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Baby Names I Love but Won't be Using (part 1)

Ok, so I am obsessed with baby names. A few weeks ago I watched a million youtube videos with the tag “10 baby names I love but won’t be using”. I was watching the videos to see if there were any names that I hadn’t heard of but I also just wanted to hear what names people love. So once I watched all those videos I knew I needed to write a post about all the names I love but I won’t be using….well we definitely won’t be using them for this baby but maybe if we end up having like 10 kids we will need to dive into this list haha.

I have had my top favorites for at least the past 5 years just waiting to have a little baby to name. Luckily Spencer likes most of my favorite names but there are quite a few that he is just not down with. But I should say that just because Spencer doesn’t love a name doesn’t mean I automatically cross it off my list. I am too stubborn for that. If Spencer doesn’t like a name and it is on this post that means there is probably another reason I don’t want to use it or I like another name better so I have to save up all my convincing to get him to like that one haha.

Now on with the names, I am going to split this into two posts of my girls names and my boys names so that this doesn’t get out of hand. So we will start with the girls and I will post the boys in the next couple days.

I will start with one of my all-time favorite names ever. Olive.

I have been obsessed with the name Olive since I was like 14. One of my friend’s sisters named her baby Olive and I just thought it was the cutest name I had ever heard. I thought it was unique but still a real name. So for the last 10 years I have loved loved loved that name but recently I feel like it has become a little too trendy for my taste. I know of like 5 little girls named Olive so the uniqueness of the name was kind of lost. It was still on my short list but the nail in the coffin for Olive was that Spencer’s sister named her baby Oliver. I don’t want my kids to have basically the same name as their cousins so that means Olive was out. As I say that I know it might sound like I am mad at her for naming her baby that but I am not mad at all. Oliver is the perfect name for him and I don’t think we would have used Olive anyways so I am happy she used the name she wanted. But I still love the name Olive. So if you want your child to be my favorite child ever then name her Olive and I will love her forever!

I promise I won’t have that much to say about every name on my list.

My next girl name is a recent addition to my list. Plum. Every time I say I like the name Plum people make fun of me. They think it is so silly. Which is what I kind of like about it. I like the whimsy and playfulness of it. But I could never seriously give my child that name. When I think about a name I have to think about my child going to a job interview and introducing themselves with that name. I don’t think anyone would take someone named Plum seriously. I also worry that if she was chubby then plump Plum would be the obvious nickname and I don’t want to set my child up to be made fun of. Sorry Plum, I love you but I just can’t do it.

Ever since I read Hamlet in 12th grade the name Ophelia has been on my mind. I think the fact that I just connected the name to Hamlet shows exactly why I can’t use this name. I think Ophelia is the most beautiful name but I just can’t name my daughter a name that is most famously known as a woman who drown herself. I still haven’t completely crossed Ophelia off of my list because I feel like you can get around the reference but I have like 20 other girls names that I like better so unless I am incredibly fertile and only have girls then we will not be naming our daughter Ophelia.

Goldie Goldie Goldie. I cannot get over the name Goldie! It just makes me happy to think about the name Goldie. Can’t you just imagine naming a little baby girl Marigold and then calling her Goldie? Or even just naming her Goldie! It seriously just like gives me the goosebumps thinking about how much I love this name. Spencer just isn’t quite on board with Goldie yet so we won’t be using it. I also know quite a few little girls with this name and if you haven’t figured it out yet I am all about trying to be original with names.

My last girl name is Cricket. I think it goes along with Plum in that I can’t imagine my daughter going to a job interview and introducing herself as Cricket. Overall I just think it is a little too far out there for me to really consider but I really think it is so stinking cute.

To wrap it up, while I love all of these names we have 3 girls names that are really the leaders of the pack for us right now. If we have a girl there is a 99% chance we will name her one of these three. (Just a note, all of the names on this list are a little more “out there” than the names that are on our real list). Maybe later on in my pregnancy I will do a post about those names but we are really secretive about one which seems so silly because I think it is the one we are liking the least right now. But if you are really dying to know you can ask cause I am happy to share…as long as you are not pregnant with a girl that will be born before my possible daughter haha.

I will be back in a few days to share my favorite boy names that I won't be using. I know you are all on the edge of your seats waiting to see what they are.

1 comment:

  1. I had two friends named Cherry and Chicklet many years ago. I liked the names as they give very sweet feeling. I like Hebrew names as well.

    ReplyDelete