Thursday, September 22, 2016

The Golden Circle

The traditional tour that most everyone does when they go to Iceland is called the Golden Circle. It goes to Thingvellir, Geysir, and Gulfoss. We were planning on just going on a tour bus but in the end we decided to rent a car which ended up being way better because we could go at our own pace and we got to add on some extras.

Thingvellir is the continental divide between the North American continent and the European continent. It was pretty cool to see but the surrounding area was the real star of the show.



Can you even handle it???


Honestly we only spent like 3 minutes here because we had so many things on our list to see this day and once we saw it there wasn't really any reason to stay.

The next stop was Geysir. Which is the geyser that all the other geysers are named after.






I know you guys have never seen a Geysir erupt so obviously you needed a sequence of pictures haha. I just thought it was sweet that I captured it all the way up. It was surrounded by all of these hot springs and Spencer lovingly named this one Mr. Bubbly.



Back on the road to Gulfoss. I was so so excited to see this and it lived up to all of my expectations.






The best!


We just pulled over on the side of the road to take this picture and I think it might be my favorite picture of the whole trip. I can not get over how beautiful Iceland is!!!

We then stopped at Urridafoss. Which was slightly underwhelming after seeing Gulfoss. You know you are spoiled when you are finding waterfalls underwhelming haha.


I know I said that earlier picture was my favorite but this next one is probably my actual favorite. Seljalandsfoss was perfection.






Then we hit the waterfall jackpot. I do not think I will ever see a waterfall that can rival this one. (Well I have been to Victoria Falls and that is the real waterfall motherload but this one is pretty dang close).

SKOGAFOSS



So amazing. And then we proceeded to hike up one million steps.


To get this view.


Then up one million more steps to this view.



Safe to say walking up all those steps was worth it. We rounded out our day of exploring by going to the black sand beach and the basalt pillars.





I have to say that this was probably my favorite day of our whole trip. We got to see so many amazing things and we were able to go at our own pace and just really enjoy it. I would seriously recommend Iceland to everyone. It was so unique and stunning and everyone was so nice. Just all around the best. 

Next stop. Norway.

No comments:

Post a Comment