Friday, January 1, 2016

Goals.

For the past few years I have liked to set my new year's resolutions around one word. I will be honest and say I do not even remember what my word of 2015 was... obviously a fail. But I have spent the past month thinking about what my word of the year will be. I have decided that my word of 2016 is going to be 

FOCUS

I have felt really unfocused and like out of sorts lately. I feel like I have the shortest attention span ever and I am never able to get things done quickly because I am jumping all over the place. I always have a million tabs open on my computer and I am always trying to multitask. This chaos I am creating in my life has to stop. I want to feel peaceful so I know I have to focus on one thing at a time.  I have also been distracted from my long term goals. This year I want to always be focusing on my long term goals so I can use each day to get closer and closer to those goals.  and so I think this is a perfect time to really focus on what I want out of life and what I can do to achieve it. 

I have decided to break the word down into three different subgoals. 

1. Spiritual

I have definitely been lacking in my prayers and scripture reading lately so that is something I want to focus on. I have been looking to find a good Book of Mormon study guide to help guide my scripture study (if anyone has any that they love let me know!). I am really going to focus on creating a better relationship with my Heavenly Father. I am also going to use my time for spiritual things more effectively. Sometimes as I am reading my scriptures or praying I let my mind wander. I want to be more focused and attentive while I am doing those things so the word focus is key here. 

2. Physical

Taking care of myself physically is one of my biggest weaknesses. I am so dang lazy and I love all the treats! But I am really going to buckle down and I know my body will thank me. I don't have a specific amount of weight I want to lose or anything but I just want to feel better. So in 2016 I am going to focus my energy into how my body feels. I know my body feels better when I do exercise and eat better so why do I keep depriving it of those things?? By focusing on how my body feels and not just how it looks I hope to become stronger and more able to do all the things I want to do. 

3. Temporal

I am kind of combining a few different things in this category. For the first half of the year I am going to use the word focus as it applies to school. I have been seriously awful at paying attention in class. I often feel like I go to class and then at the end of the class period I haven't learned anything because I have been busy messing around on my computer. So from here on out I am going to work really hard to pay attention and to really focus on what is being taught. I also want to focus more on my assignments. This last semester I put in the minimun amount of work required and I wasn't really proud of any of my work. I want to focus on the task at hand and get it done to the best of my ability. 

After I graduate I am going to try to apply that same amount of focus and energy to whatever job I get. If I can set a good precedence for working hard and taking pride in my work from the beginning I will be on the right track for future success. 

Focus may seem like a weird word for most people but for me it is just what I need. I need to have better focus and perspective on both my short and long term goals. I am really excited for 2016 and I know if I can apply my word of the year diligently then I will have a wonderful year!

No comments:

Post a Comment