Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Name.

So I always assumed when I got married I would take my husbands last name and it never seemed like that big of a deal. I mean I liked my last name enough but I never thought I was that attached to it. 

Until like 2 days before my wedding when I realized that this was the end of my time of being known as Anna Steiner. Now I would have a completely new name. And that freaked me out. It made me feel like I was leaving something behind. I have done so many things as Anna Steiner that becoming Anna Whitmore kind of made me feel like none of those things mattered anymore. I graduated from high school, college and completed half of grad school as Anna Steiner. What had Anna Whitmore done? Nothing.

 I honestly had the grieve the loss of my name. I was pretty sad about it for a few days and I felt bad about being sad because I was so excited to get married. 

Another thing that was odd about changing my name was that people assumed I was going to and made a point about it. When I didn't automatically change my name on Facebook and other social media sites people made a big deal about it. They kept asking why I hadn't changed my name yet. I hadn't changed it because I was busy having a wedding and going to Hawaii. So you can all just cool your jets.

That almost made me not want to change my name just to spite them. But my name is obviously more important than spite. 

I still haven't gotten used to the fact that I am Anna Whitmore now. It is really hard and always feels awkward when I have to introduce myself as Anna Whitmore. Luckily I have had some time to ease into it because all of my documentation to go to Africa is under Anna Steiner so I can't legally change my name yet. I am actually really grateful that I haven't totally converted to Anna Whitmore yet. It is way more emotional than I ever expected it to be. 

In the end I will end up fully becoming Anna Whitmore because it is really important to me that Spencer and I share a name. But for now I am just going to ease myself into it because I am not quite ready to let go of Anna Steiner.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. I have been really thinking about this and how I don't want to change my name when I get married. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this. I have been really thinking about this and how I don't want to change my name when I get married. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete