Thursday, August 21, 2014

#GIRLBOSS

First of all, read this book (#GIRLBOSS) and then we will have a discussion about it....


Ok, so you read it? Good. Now lets talk.

I really enjoyed it. For those of you that didn't read it in the space I allowed I will give you a small recap. The author is the CEO and founder of the online shopping site Nasty Gal. Now I don't shop at that store but I can still enjoy a book written by the founder. The book basically chronicles how she made a multimillion dollar business starting from an ebay shop for vintage clothing. Throughout the book she just gives advice about working hard and how to be successful in business by becoming a #GIRLBOSS. 

I thought she had some really great advice and some of it I will definitely take. But the best piece of advice had little to do with business and mostly to do with life. She says...

"Surround yourself with people who are engaged, honest, and confident enough on their own quest to support you on yours. There is no time for losers."

Now I do not think anyone in my life is a loser and I have surrounded myself with pretty good people but I wonder if people can say that same thing about me. Am I doing well enough at focusing on my own quest that I can support other on their's? I think the only way you can be totally supportive of others successes is if you are having your own successes and if you are not jealous of them.

I will admit that at some times I have been incredibly jealous of other people's lives. They seem to be getting all the things that I want to have and their lives are just going swimmingly. So you can't help but be jealous, right?

Wrong, you don't have to be jealous of other people. You just need to view your own life with a different perspective. You need to try and see yourself how others see you and see how well you are doing on your own quest. 

Everyone's life takes a different path. If everyone was doing the same thing at the same time that would be no fun. We all need different things at different times. When we realize this and work on making our own quest great and our own life spectacular we will be able to be more supportive of others. Once we can honestly support others and be happy for them then we are able to do the more important work of making other people's lives spectacular. 

Now I don't know about you but I am off to become more engaged in my own quest so that I can be more of a help to others on their way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment