Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Expectations.

Expectations.

I have a lot of them.

And they might be my enemy. 

Seriously though, expectations of how things should be might be the death of me. 

Source
I wouldn't necessarily say that I have high expectations but I do know exactly how I want things to go and when things don't go that way then I tend to be disappointed. 

I think the word disappointed might be a slight understatement. 

For example, I have some people that I hang out with and almost every time I have an expectation of certain things I want to happen. Those things almost never happen and by the end of the night I am usually disappointed. Often so disappointed that I go home and cry about it. Yes I am well aware that I sound like a total baby.

I am causing myself so much unnecessary unhappiness by putting expectations on people. I am expecting people to act in a certain way and then not telling them how I want them to act. Then when they inevitably fall short of my semi-ridiculous expectations I end up getting frustrated with them.

How crazy do I sound?

Although I sound like a total lunatic I think this is more common than people want to admit. I think we all have expectations and some of us are just worse at controlling and dealing with those expectations.

I don't want to be this person that can't even enjoy what is happening because it isn't how I envisioned it. I want to be able to just accept each experience and person for who or what they are. I want to be able to let go of this sense of control.

I want to be able to just let go of how I think it should be and just let it be....but I am not sure that I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment