Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Thoughts

So a lot of my friends have been getting engaged/married lately and I would be lying if I said that I wasn't a tiny bit jealous of them. Getting married is one of the most important things you can do in your life and I am sure they are so happy to have found someone to share their life with. That kind of stability and ability to plan the rest of your life with someone is what makes me jealous. 

But, as I was driving home from an orientation for my new research project I was extraordinarily grateful that I wasn't married. That may sound weird to some of you but it was exactly how I felt. 

Now I do not consider marriage to be something that holds people back, but I know myself well enough to know that if I was married I probably wouldn't be putting so much effort into my education and future career. I don't mean to say that I wouldn't want to have an education or a career if I was married but I know that it wouldn't be my only focus. Once I get married I intend to make my husband and future family my main priority and I am not quite sure if all the things I am doing would align with that way of thinking.

Source

I was telling a friend the other day that when I started college I was so sure that by the time I graduated I would be married. Now as we can see, that is not the case but I am not mad about it. I am so grateful and excited for all of the things I am doing right now and my plans for the future. I have a lot going on and sometimes it can be so stressful to me but at the same time it is wonderful and exciting. And I don't think I would be doing any of these things if I was married. 

Source

I hope that no one takes this as me saying that marriage is horrible and holds people back. I know so many people that tell me from personal experience that marriage is the best and I can tell you from watching my married friends that marriage truly makes people better.  And I know that I would be beyond happy if Prince Harry proposed to me tomorrow. All I am trying to say is that I excited about my life and I am happy that I have this time to be selfish and make decisions purely based on what I want to do. I am sure I would be perfectly happy and excited about life if I was married, I just think my life would be taking a different but equally thrilling track. 

So congratulations if you are married and congratulations if you are single.
Because life is just so so good no matter who you are. 

Source

2 comments: