Monday, January 27, 2014

Technology.

Get ready because here comes a rant. 

You might not know it, but I am a HUGE Denver Broncos fan and have been for my whole life so don't you dare accuse me of being a bandwagoner. Last Sunday was a huge game for the Broncos. They were playing the Patriots and the winning team got to go to the Super Bowl and the losing team was out. The broncos lost to the patriots earlier in the year and to say I was stressed would be a serious understatement. The game started at 1 and my church also starts at 1. I chose to go to church and to watch the game once I got home. I made this decision because in the grand scheme of things going to church is more important to me than any game. I also thought that going to church would help me to be less stressed and to put the game into perspective. I planned on trying my very hardest not to think about the game while I was at church and to just focus on what was happening. But that was not the case. 

I felt like the whole three hours was a battle against the people there to avoid them telling me the score of the game. Everyone was constantly checking their phones and was always connected. A lot of them didn't even care about the game. Honestly, I feel like the whole purpose of me going to church was defeated because of the technology being used by those around me. 

Now don't get me wrong, I love all the people I go to church with but this whole experience really made me think about technology usage.  Are we letting technology infiltrate parts of our lives that are meant to be sacred and special to us?

I have been extra sensitive to technology usage since my no social media week and because my capstone class is all about health and the digital world.  This sensitivity has made me pay attention to when I am using technology and when those around me are using it. It has made me really aware that I want to be with the people I am with and I want them to be with me. How are we making the people around us feel when we act like a snapchat or instagram is more important than them?

Is checking twitter becoming more important than hearing what those around us are saying? Is looking at an instagram picture better than appreciating the beauty of the earth that is around us all the time? Is checking the score of a game more important then feeling the Spirit at church and becoming closer to our Heavenly Father? 

I am definitely not perfect at this but it is something I think is really important.  I am going to make a serious effort to be more present and to pay more attention to how my technology usage is making others feel. Technology is so wonderful but if we are not careful about our usage it can be a seriously negative force in our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment