Monday, January 13, 2014

Recap.

Let's start by saying that I cheated. I wrote blog posts, I read blogs, I found new blogs to follow, I commented on blogs, I subscribed to like a million new websites, cleared out old drafts, and I made a new blog (well posted on my new blog). And I do not regret one second of it. I think not using social media and having more down time gave me a little more creativity and a little more inspiration about what I want to do with this little blog land of mine. So there you have it, I am a cheater and I am proud of it.

But besides that I did not check twitter, instagram, pintrest, or facebook and I was pretty proud of that. So let me tell you how my week of no social media went.

Sunday was rough. Well Sunday morning was rough. My church changed times with the new year and that means I didn't have anywhere to be or anything to do until 1. That whole morning was just a test of my ability to find ways to occupy my self. And let's just say it didn't go very well.

Monday was probably the most productive day of my life. I didn't have anything planned and by 3:30 I had run all the errands I had put off for weeks, deep cleaned my room, started selling some books on ebay, got prepared for school, and got caught up on some emails. It was amazing to see how much I was able to get done without my usual distractions.

Tuesday and Wednesday were pretty awful. I just felt so bored and like useless. Which I realize is a little sad that I felt useless without using social media. I think that feeling kind of put things into perspective and made the rest of the week a little better.

By Thursday I realized that if I really spent this much time thinking about social media then I needed to do some more productive things with my life. Someone told me I needed to get a hobby but they said it in a rude way so they get no credit for this revelation. I wouldn't say that I got a new hobby but I did come up with a few things that should help fill my time more productively. Now I know it is rude to not tell you what they are right now but I hope to have made some progress in the next few weeks and then I can update you on them.

The weekend was lovely. I really only felt myself missing twitter during sporting events because I love to see what other people are tweeting about the game I am watching. But it wasn't all that bad. And honestly by Sunday night I was kind of dreading redownloading all my apps. I was dreading it because I knew that I would want to try and catch up on what I missed and that seemed like a daunting task for me. I also wasn't ready to have all the pressure back on me. It kind of felt like I was in my own little world and I liked that. I liked that this week was all about me and not really about other people (does that sound self-centered?).

All in all I would say it was a good week. My lovely friend Courtney did it with me, although she checked her accounts once a day instead of never. So maybe that is something I will start doing? And maybe if we are lucky she will write a blog post about how it went (hint hint).

Well now I am off to soak in all the celeb news, tweets, and instas I can. Because lets be honest, it was the Golden Globes last night and I am DYING to see what everyone wore!

2 comments: