Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Vaccines (part 2)

I know what you are all thinking "Anna, enough about vaccines!" but this is my blog so I so what I want. I just want to share a quick follow up on the vaccine post I wrote last week. 

In my public health class we have a few current events we discuss each week and one event that was brought up was the polio outbreak in Syria. 

You can read more about it here and here.

There have been no reported cases of polio in Syria since 1999. That means there have been no reported cases in more than 13 years but in less than 2 years these disease has already started to come back. If this disease had really been eradicated then we wouldn't seen any breakouts like this. 

I think this is a prime example of how important vaccines are. There is no cure for polio but with vaccines everyone can be protected from these horrible diseases. I understand that some people have reservations about getting their children vaccinated but it really is vitally important. 

Now I am really getting off the soapbox...for the time being...

No comments:

Post a Comment