Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election.

So I have tried my hardest to be politically active this campaign season so I should probably give some kind of wrap up.
 
I voted for Mitt Romney. By the time the next presidential election comes around I will be part of the full time labor force and I believed that Romney was going to give me the best chance to get a job. I believed that his economic plan was better for our country.
 
I did not vote for him just because we practice the same religion. It is sad that I feel the need to clarify that. When people say "You only voted for him because he is Mormon" it is extremely offensive to me. It makes me feel like you don't find me intelligent enough to make an informed decision. I may not be the most politically informed person but I still take the privilege to vote very seriously and did a lot of research. I voted for the person that I believed would lead America in the direction that it needs to go.  
 
But I will say that as part of my LDS faith "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law." (Article of Faith 11). So even though I did not think that Obama was the right person to lead our country I will do all I can to support him. And I wish more people would follow this same principle.
 
I believe that one thing we are really lacking in today's society is respect. There are many groups out there that are constantly talking about tolerance and I believe that tolerance is a very important principle.  But it seems to only apply to certain people. I always feel that I hear people essentially saying "you have to be tolerant of my opinion because it is the minority but since you believe something different than me I have no reason to respect you".  I try my hardest to be tolerant and respectful of everyone's opinion even when it is opposite of my own. And I hope that people will give me that same kind of respect. I will respect our President because it is the right thing to do and even though I did not vote for him  I hope with all of my heart that he will lead our country in the right direction.
 


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. It was very refreshing next to all the negative Facebook comments splattered everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your thoughts on this Anna! Wish more people thought the same :)

    ReplyDelete