Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Major.

So lately the main focus of my life has been picking a major. I am so sick of people asking me what my major is. But don't worry, if you have asked me I am not mad at you. I am just a little frustrated with myself for not having an adequate answer. 

 For quite a few years I was pretty dead set on being an English major. I LOVE books and words and others such things like that. (just forgive me for being a nerd) But then I took AP bio and rocked it and then I was like "Yes biology it is!" and then I took a bio course in college....not my cup of tea. I realized there was a lot more I needed to learn and I did not have any inclination towards learning it. So where did that leave me??? Back to English? I also took an English course and maybe it was just the teacher but I felt like I definitely wasn't prepared or smart enough to be an English major. I had always excelled in English and now I was just average? This was not good for me. And I am now considering Linguistics. I can't learn languages to save my life and I have no idea what in the world I would do with a major in Linguistics but I really enjoy it. I find it so interesting and it is so intriguing to me. Its just delicious!

So many options!!!!!

But just recently I have had the realization that I can do ANYTHING I want to do! I shouldn't listen to people when they tell me that English is a useless major unless I want to write or teach ( neither of which I am particularly inclined to do). And I need to stop listening when people tell me that if I major in that I will never make any money. Not going to lie,  having a job that makes me bucket-loads of money would not be bad, but if it isn't something I enjoy doing then is it worth it? I hope not. So right now I am just accepting that I have absolutely no direction where my life is going and that is ok. You are supposed to be confused at some points in life, right? Someone please tell me if I am totally and completely off track.


1 comment:

  1. I'm 35 and I still don't know what to do. Do what you love. The rest will fall into place, right?

    ReplyDelete