Monday, June 27, 2011

Zambia.

I have been neglecting doing this post because I know I won't do it justice. I won't be able to share all the feeling I felt or even begin to describe what it was like. It is just too much to share and I don't think anyone really wants to read it all. So I will just share the basics and if you want more details I would LOVE to share them with you!

I don't even know where to begin. It was probably the best experience I have ever had. It was AMAZING!!!  I absolutely adore the Zambian people I met and all the wonderful people that were in my group. It was just an overall fantastic experience.

I spent most of my time working at an orphanage called the Children's Resource Center (CRC) that was started by an organization called Mothers Without Borders. The CRC is literally one of the most inspiring places I have ever been. There are children there that have been through some of the most horrifying and terrible experiences but they still find ways to be happy. They were all so willing to give their love to us and to share their lives with us. They were just brilliant.

Front of the CRC with the Mothers Without Borders logo
Mckell dancing with sweet little Alice.

The beginning of the program that the kids at the CRC
put on for us.
Festus and the picture he drew of the church.

Lovemore and his great picture.

Robert sitting in front of the main building.

Drawing pictures.

Sweet little Leseli. (I hope I spelled that right?)
 
Wall of all the volunteers hand prints.

School house that was built in the chicken coop.
Clothesline where they did all their laundry... and a random mattress.

Alternate view of the clothesline after we built the lovely path.


Mutinta and Blessing. Such sweet girls!

Bridgette and Ethel. So AMAZING!!!

Me giving one of the workers his chicken.
Soon after I gave him this chicken he broke
the chicken's neck...cool...?

Festus!
I know that I shouldn't have picked favorites but I think Festus was definitely my favorite. (Although I LOVED every single one of the kids that I met).  He was so hilarious and so nice to all the other kids. He was just such a gem. I miss him so much already.

Awesome necklace Festus made that said
"festus and anna" on it.

Me and Jackie.

The CRC was such a great place and I loved being able to spend so much time there and get to know all of those inspiring and brilliant people.

My group and all of the Zambian workers and all the kids
that live at the CRC.
Another place we went was called Bwfwano. It was a community center that was built in the middle of a compound (aka slum). All the kids there loved having their pictures taken and were constantly posing.


Hannah helping to give the kids their lunch.
 For lunch the kids at something called soy pudding (or something like that) it was like oatmeal but it had really big chunks in it and stuff...it did not look appealing at all.

This boy kept posing for me to take his picture.



After we visited Bwafwano we went farther out into the compound and visited another family and the kids from all around came to play with all the "Mezungus" (white people)

The girl in the pink shirt was named Florence and she had
the biggest personality of anyone I have ever met.




We also got to visit a traditional African village and it was so interesting. It was just what I was expecting Africa to look like.

The kids loved to do the "Hokey Pokey"
This 8 year old girl carried around her sister all day. It
broke my heart that she wasn't able to participate in all the games
because she had to be responsible.

Favorite little boy...I feel terrible but I can't remember his name.



Some more random pictures....

The house we stayed at...it looks nice enough during the day
but when you go outside during a lunar eclipse it looks
like the creepiest place ever...did I mention there are bars on all
the windows and we padlocked ourselves inside at night?

House of Moses is a transit home for babies from newborn to 18 months.
All of the babies were so darling. I wanted to take them
all home with me.

We visited the UTH (University Teaching Hospital) and it
was one of the scariest places. If you ever get injured in Zambia
DO NOT go to the UTH.

Chickens on the bus.

Ice Cream Truck.

The farm shop where we got to buy some candy. Like
a gas station...but with the gas.

I had the most wonderful time and these pictures can not even begin to explain what it was really like. I hope someday I will get to go back and experience this all over again. It is something I will never forget and I am so incredibly grateful that I got to travel to Zambia.

My wonderful group.
Don't worry about the weird look on my face...I hope
I was in the middle of laughing.

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome experience!! You're one lucky girl! Hope to hear more about your trip!

    ReplyDelete