Saturday, April 16, 2011

Europe!

So this is yet again another post about something that happened a very long time ago but it deserves to be documented. Last summer I got to go to Paris and London as sort of a graduation trip. It was a blast.

Paris was pretty good and I loved going to all the museums but it isn't my favorite city in the world but everyone should go there at least once to see all the amazing sights. Like the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, The Louvre, The Arc de Triomphe and Versailles (excuse any spelling mistakes I made there, yes I took French for seven years but that doesn't mean I was ever good at French spelling.)
One view from the Eiffel Tower

I adored the Musee D'Orsay and I could have spent days there. The art is just so amazing and it is spectacular to see originals or the paintings you have seen so many times. One of the coolest things about that museum is that is is built in an old train station and the architecture is absolutely brilliant because of it.
My favorite thing in the whole museum was The Gleaners by Jean-Fran├žois Millet.  I have seen that painting so many times in multiple different classes and it was like unreal to see it in real life.  I even made my mom sneak a picture of me in front of it with her phone. (sadly she has gotten a new phone since then so I have no documentation that I have actually seen that painting)

Me and Ellie outside the Musee d' Orsay
The Louvre is a must see.  It is literally one of the most gigantic and beautiful buildings I have ever seen. It would probably take you a week to be able to see everything there.  Since we only had an afternoon we took the quick tour and hit all the highlights. I hate to admit that the Mona Lisa was fairly underwhelming.  It was tiny and behind very thick glass. One of the most amazing things in the museum is The Winged Victory. It literally took my breath away.  The way they have it displayed is pure genius. You walk from one room into a giant foyer type thing and it is at the top of a staircase.  

I didn't take this picture but I had to show how it is exhibited.

Versailles was the highlight of the trip for me. It was fantastic!!! The whole time I was there I felt like I should have been wearing a huge ball gown and speaking in a British accent (since they obviously spoke in British accents at Versailles....) The palace was magnificent but the gardens were ridiculously amazing. There were like 18 separate gardens all with their own theme. CRAZY!!!

View from the palace out on the gardens.


Probably the cutest picture of me ever.

Me and my wonderful aunt Kasey. It was the 4th of July
and we were obviously very patriotic.
One of the best parts of Versailles is the village that Marie Antoinette built. Out in the gardens she built herself a little village/farm.  It was so cute but it shows just how extravagant these people were.  If you have ever seen the movie Marie Antoinette with Kirsten Dunst then you have seen snippets of the little village but it is much better/funnier to see it in person.


Cute little mill that she had built, just one of the 7 buildings she had
built for her personal village.

If you ever get the chance to go to Paris then you have to eat at this fantastic little restaurant. They only serve steak and fries so hopefully you like that but even if you don't you still have to go there because you will like this steak.  It was so delicious we went there twice in our 8 days we were there. Oh and you have to go right when it opens or you will never get a table.  (as you can see from the multitude of people waiting outside.)


London

I LOVE London!  This was the second time I have been there and it is probably one of my favorite cities in the whole world.  I just love the vibe and the feel of the city. We only got the stay there for about 3 days but it was all right because I have already seen all the tourist sites when I went the first time so this time we got to do fun stuff.  My studied abroad in London when she was in college so she knows where all the good shops are and the fun things to do. 

We saw some touristy things like Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, Trafalgar Square, and London Bridge (it is actually called Tower Bridge since I think the actual London bridge burned down or something but it is the famous bridge that you see in pictures).  I was dying to go on the London Eye (a huge Ferris wheel! but it was way too expensive we we just looked at it.)


London Eye
Me and my mom with Parliament in the background.
One hilarious thing we did was go see Les Miserables starring none other than Nick Jonas! The play obviously wasn't hilarious since it is an overall pretty sad play but the fact that Nick Jonas was in it made it hilarious.  He actually did pretty well and although it isn't my new favorite play it was an overall good experience.

Anytime I go to London the highlight of my trip is always buying the most amazing candy ever. Percy Pigs!!! They are absolutely fantastic. The first time I went to London my mom bought them for me because pigs are my favorite animal but they turned out to be super delicious. I always HAVE to buy like 10 bags so that I can have some to take home because you can't get them here.  So, if you ever go to London I would LOVE it if you bought me some percy pigs and brought them home to me.

They look like this, and taste like heaven!

While I was googling pictures of the candy I came
across this gem and couldn't help sharing.
This was one of the best trips I have been on and I can not wait to go back and explore more of Europe. It is such an amazing place!!!
P.S. Sorry this is like the longest post ever I just had a lot to say about the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment